Monday, August 19, 2013

Word of the Day and Grammar with a Giggle

I really wanted to incorporate Word of the Day in my Language Arts block as well as some type of warm up each day as the students come into class.  I found this fantastic book that gives me both things and not only does it have great vocabulary and grammar practice, it is really fun for the kids.


Caught Ya! Grammar with a Giggle is written by Jane Bell Keister.   In this book, she provides techniques for teaching grammar, spelling, and vocabulary which I found to be very helpful. What is even better is that she has written three different stories broken down into 100 different sentences for 100 different days.  One story is for elementary school, one is for middle, and the last story is made for high school.  I have began to create an active inspire flip chart that has the word of the day and the sentence for the day. When I complete it I will post it!  I also decided to create a template for my students to use each day as they complete this warm up. I have included the template below for your use.  You will notice that on the sheet there is a spot that says "recorder of the day" I plan to have a notebook where one student each days fills in the paper. Everyone else will complete the warm up on white boards. I did this to save paper! I have also included the notebook cover sheet if you want to use it!  I highly recommend this book and I think the students will really enjoy it!!!
Click Here to get your copy!

Click Here to get your copy!


No comments:

Post a Comment