Monday, June 24, 2013

DIY for the Classroom

I absolutely love DIY projects, especially when it comes to refurbishing furniture! Last summer, I decided to refurbish an old filing cabinet in my classroom. To refurbish, you basically paint (spray paint works best) and then use modge podge to decorate the drawers. I used scrapbook paper for the drawers.  Here are the before and after pictures:


 At the end of this year, someone was throwing away a smaller filing cabinet. Being the bargain hunter that I am, I throw nothing away that can be fixed so I decided to go with my purple and orange theme and decorate my the smaller cabinet to match!

One of my all time favorite DIY projects that I made last summer was my bathtub! I originally saw this idea on a website and decided I really wanted one for my class. I bought the tub at habitat for humanity for $40. I then just painted the bottom. I allow my students to read in the tub as well as complete classwork or do other tasks/assignments. I use this as an incentive for my students and is the one item that all my students beg to sit in! I have pillows that match the monsters on the tub and I have to admit, I have sat in it a few times myself!

Today, I finally refurbished my chair that I bought at Goodwill! I bought this chair for $5 and it was very easy to decorate. As a side note, visit your local Goodwill once a week. You never know the deals you will find!



No comments:

Post a Comment